The HL7 processing script, submitted by SIGNATURE® user Amanda Yocom of Ephrata Community Hospital demonstrates several of EMUE’s advanced features including…
1) Polling for input files and working as an interface between an external system and SIGNATURE® (or INVISION® with some modification)
2) Reading complex input files
3) Performing database lookups to translate data between two systems.
The following describes the environment and workflow in which the script is used.
1) When patients check into the hospital, they are registered in a third party EMR system.
2) For each hour in which patients are registered, the EMR system creates a file of HL7 records with the registration data including patient demographics, guarantor info, and information for up to 4 insurance plans.
3) The EMUE script has been configured to always be on standby, and to do the following when an interface file arrives.
a) Connect and sign into SIGNATURE®
b) Read the data in the interface file and break the data into records and segments to find the pertinent data (primarily A01 and A04 events).
c) Register the patient if necessary
d) Updates guarantor data.
e) Perform a database lookup to map the insurance code from the EMR to the insurance code used in SIGNATURE®.
f) Log the results to create an audit trail.
g) Reset and wait for more interface files.
Databound Healthcare Solutions would like to thank Amanda Yocom both for creating and then for sharing her HL7 script by placing it into the EMUE\OLIE script library, where it can be downloaded using one of the links below.